Thursday, December 23, 2010

Prize Worthy


These are easy to make--the hard part is finding the horse ribbons!

I bought the oval frames at a garage, and simply removed the glass and sanded off the original brown stain. Then I sprayed on a Kilz primer. After an hour, I sprayed on a coat of antique white paint. I went back later and applied a swipe or two of walnut stain as a glaze. It goes on dark, but after some rubbing, it fades to a nice glaze finish.
Once the frames were painted, I used the back of the frames to cover with cotton batting and a natural-colored cotton duck. I just hot glued the batting and the fabric on. Then, refasten the backing to the picture frame.
As a decorative embellishment, I hot glued on some vintage millinery velvet flowers to the top of each frame.
Pin the horse ribbons in place and hang!!

Instant wall decor for that horse lover in your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment